Keeping user information and the company's financial details secure are the first few benefits of having strong cybersecurity. Driven by the recent cyberattacks on companies like Uber and Google, the US government cybersecurity experts suggest a number of ways in which you can make sure that your online security is capable of fighting off cybercriminals. Though no strategy - no matter how advanced - guarantee complete protection, but combined, cybersecurity strategies can strengthen the loopholes as much as possible.
Undoubtedly, unethical hackers use dangerous and secretive means to launch a security attack on a company. But, only if you implement all the strategies listed below that you'll be able to strengthen the cyber defense of your company, minimizing the risk of a security breach.
- A Useful Password
If you think changing a default backdoor password to something else is enough, then, you're wrong. A small password is only as good as useless. A useful backdoor password for the DVR and IoT devices is something that's utterly complex, at least 20 characters long, and the characters must contain alphabets, numbers, and symbols. A few other important password tips that are essential to be followed are given below.
- Do not share or repeat the password
- Do not use the same password for any two accounts or devices
- Do not note passwords in any document that’s not encrypted
- Use a password managing app to save all the passwords
- Strong Security Layers
Backdoor password being the first, the next 2 security layers are firewall and antivirus. Both these layers protect the software and the system from malware, phishing threat, and virus attack.
- Firewall filters and blocks malicious websites
- Antivirus scans the system, software, devices attached to the DVR, and the email attachments to ensure they’re all virus-free
- A Clean Software
Clean software is bug-free software. Bugs are flaws that hackers exploit to infect software with malware and malicious phishing links. Also, every single software keeps developing bugs again and again. Therefore, there's no other option than cleaning the software time and again. The 4 most effective ways of doing so are given below.
- keep deleting old files and old software since they are the bug carriers 90% of the times
- Keep installing software updates provided by the software manufacturers
- Keep running professional scans - network testing and software testing - periodically so that no bug can hide in the cloud or the system